This vintage paintings through some of the most vital philosophers and critics of our time charts the genesis and trajectory of the wanting topic from Hegel's formula in Phenomenology of Spirit to its appropriation via Kojève, Hyppolite, Sartre, Lacan, Deleuze, and Foucault. Judith Butler plots the French reception of Hegel and the successive demanding situations waged opposed to his metaphysics and examine of the topic, all whereas revealing ambiguities inside his place. the result's a cosmopolitan reconsideration of the post-Hegelian culture that has predominated in smooth French idea, and her learn is still a provocative and well timed intervention in modern debates over the subconscious, the powers of subjection, and the subject.
Preview of Subjects of Desire: Hegelian Reflections in Twentieth-Century France PDF
Best Philosophy books
What's background and why may still we research it? Is there one of these factor as old fact? Is heritage a technology? essentially the most complete historians at paintings at the present time, John Lewis Gaddis, solutions those and different questions during this brief, witty, and humane booklet. The panorama of historical past offers a looking examine the historian's craft, in addition to a powerful argument for why a ancient realization may still subject to us this day.
From Robocop to the Terminator to Eve eight, no snapshot greater captures our inner most fears approximately expertise than the cyborg, the individual that is either flesh and steel, mind and electronics. yet thinker and cognitive scientist Andy Clark sees it in a different way. Cyborgs, he writes, are usually not anything to be feared--we already are cyborgs.
In Kabbalah: a really brief creation, Joseph Dan, one of many world's prime specialists on Jewish mysticism, bargains a concise and hugely actual examine the background and personality of a number of the platforms built via the adherents of the Kabbalah. Dan sheds mild at the many misconceptions approximately what Kabbalah is and isn't--including its connections to magic, astronomy, alchemy, and numerology--and he illuminates the connection among Kaballah and Christianity at the one hand and New Age faith at the different.
This amazing examine of the phases within the mind's worthy development from rapid sense-consciousness to the placement of a systematic philosophy comprises an introductory essay and a paragraph-by-paragraph research of the textual content to assist the reader comprehend this so much tricky and so much influential of Hegel's works.
- Beyond the Brain: How Body and Environment Shape Animal and Human Minds
- The Hellenistic Philosophers, Volume 2: Greek and Latin Texts with Notes and Bibliography
- Penser la Pornographie (Questions d'Ethique)
- Of Human Freedom (Penguin Great Ideas)
- Presence: Philosophy, History, and Cultural Theory for the Twenty-First Century
Additional info for Subjects of Desire: Hegelian Reflections in Twentieth-Century France
1. 1957. Oil on canvas, help: 113 x 159” (287. 02 x 403. 86 cm). © Clyfford nonetheless Museum conceal layout: Shaina Andrews COLUM BI A UN I V ER SI T Y PR E SS N E W YO R ok c u p. c o l u m b i a . e d u revealed within the u. s. a. columbia “What [Butler’s] account indicates is that the main destructive point of up to date French Hegel reception is that its t “Subjects of wish supplies proof of lengthy mirrored image on very important texts and concerns within the Continental culture. there's a sure-footedness of judgment right here that historians should envy. ” —The magazine of contemporary background is the Maxine Eliot Professor within the division of Rhetoric and Comparative Literature on the college of California at Berkeley, and traveling Professor within the Humanities at Columbia college. Her books comprise Parting methods: Jewishness and the Critique of Zionism; the facility of faith within the Public Sphere; Gender hassle: Feminism and the Subversion of id; and Antigone’s declare: Kinship among existence and demise. J u d it h B utler of d e s i r e “[Butler] writes basically and with no jargon. . . . The impression of Butler’s paintings is substantial. ” —The French evaluation hugely severe emphasis at the metaphysical problems with identification, rationality, and ancient closure have so obscured Hegel’s unique idealism, in particular his idea of mirrored image, that the rejection of Hegel brings with it, with one of those dialectical necessity, the go back of the pre-Hegelian, even the pre-Kantian, a type of naive wish for ‘immediacy’ and, ironically, a dedication to a realism that the idealist culture was once to have complete off. ” —The Philosophical evaluation judith butler topics “Butler’s booklet. . . is an exceptional one, and merits to be learn through an individual attracted to the query of the survival(s) of Hegel in modern French philosophy. ” — Annals of Scholarship butler T his vintage paintings through probably the most very important philosophers and critics of our time charts the genesis and trajectory of the wanting topic from Hegel’s formula in Phenomenology of Spirit to its appropriation through Kojève, Hyppolite, Sartre, Lacan, Deleuze, and Foucault. Judith Butler plots the French reception of Hegel and the successive demanding situations waged opposed to his metaphysics and examine of the topic, all whereas revealing ambiguities inside his place. the result's a worldly reconsideration of the post-Hegelian culture that has predominated in glossy French notion, and her research is still a provocative and well timed intervention in modern debates over the subconscious, the powers of subjection, and the topic. topics of H e g e l i a n R e f l e c t i o n s i n T w e n t i e t h - C e n t u r y Fr a n c e with a brand new foreword by way of philippe sabot reprint version The Andrew W. Mellon origin, via a different provide, has assisted the click in publishing this quantity. Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication facts Butler, Judith P. matters of hope. Bibliography: p. 253 contains index. 1. Hegel, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich, 1770–1831— impact.